Case study: Surface Pro and Relay

User friendly notes and Lecture Recording

Author:Angela Brzeski  –  Senior Lecturer in Teacher Education, CELT

Challenge

To record supervisions and professional discussions I have used a mini recorder. To take notes of meetings I attend, I have used my i-pad. I found that the i-pad was not user-friendly for work purposes. I could not access the Word templates, only the notes pages, which did not look professional. I have found the Surface Pro much more user-friendly.

Solution

I have used ‘Relay’ on the Surface Pro to record lectures, supervisions with Prof Doc/MA students and for recording professional discussions for assessment purposes. I used Relay as it seemed easy to use (and it is), can be embedded into Blackboard and can be emailed out to students on the course. I also like the fact that it is secure – students cannot access it without the link.

It was ‘sold’ to me via the TELT team, Kevan in particular. I think that I need to be shown how useful and easy an application is before I will spend time using it. That said, I have had problems with the Surface Pro in terms of:

Freezing up and being totally unresponsive;

Pen not working at times;

Battery draining very quickly;

Weight of it – heavy to carry around when on visits to partner colleges.

Impact

When I record a lecture, particularly the times when I explain the assessments, it means that students do not have to write every word down as the option is there to listen back to the recording. It also facilitates differentiation as some students can listen back to the recording on several occasions if they would like to do so. I also use Relay for assessment purposes. I record the students’ professional discussions, which they provide individually in one of the PG Dip modules. The students can listen to their discussion again and carry out critiques of their own performances. I can also listen back through to it to complete the assessment feedback sheets. Students then have the option to listen back, when they have my feedback sheets, so that they can hear/read how they met the criteria.